EDSNA COMPASSION FUND (established November 2016)
Two friends decided to turn their 50th birthdays into a fundraiser for EDSNA- to mark the milestone, celebrate their friendship and the support they have received during some very difficult times.... and to give back to others who need support, care and compassion.
They decided they wanted the money they raised to be used to establish the
EDSNA COMPASSION FUND!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
If you know someone living in Alberta* who is being impacted by an eating disorder (either their own eating disorder or that of a loved one) and you don't have the financial means to buy them a gift to support their journey, you can apply to EDSNA Compassion Fund and we will buy a gift card in your name and send it to the recipient. The gift card can be for anything that would bring that person joy and demonstrate compassion. Maximum value: $100.
(*Sorry, this is only for Alberta residents)
WHAT KINDS OF GIFTS QUALIFY?
Some ideas are:
- Flowers to brighten your day (flowers or plants are always a thoughtful gesture when words fail).
- Ready-made meals or meal delivery from a favourite restaurant (While this might not be appropriate for someone undergoing eating disorder treatment, who is on a dietitian-guided meal plan or is undergoing refeeding, it can be a great gift for caregivers or other members of the family! Having frozen meals or delivered meals that are nutritious can be such a welcome relief.)
- House cleaning service (It's such a nice treat, when life is very hectic and pressured, to come home to a clean house.)
- Certificates for restorative yoga, massage or spas- pampering things we often forget to do for ourselves when we are experiencing distress.
- Tickets to the theatre, ballet, opera, movies, sporting, or other event (you may want to provide free childcare or supervision to accompany this)
- Gift cards focused on the 'well sibling'. When a child is sick, the entire focus of the family shifts. The well sibling often feels left out or marginalized. Why not create an opportunity for some special one-on-one time for the well sibling and parents?
- Dog walking service or pet grooming- pets may have been once the center of everything, but when a family is in crisis, they are now bottom of the totem pole!
- Anything that would hold special significance for the recipient! Gift cards from any store are fine. (Please keep it tasteful!)
HOW DO I APPLY?
Fill in the form (right). All applications will be reviewed and successful applicants will be notified by email as quickly as possible.
HOW CAN I CONTRIBUTE TO THE EDSNA COMPASSION FUND?
If you are a business and would like to contribute a gift card for the Compassion Fund, please contact Sue@EDSNA.ca
If you are an individual and would like to contribute money to keep the Compassion Fund going, please click on DONATE and indicate that you would like your donation designated to the Compassion Fund.